Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Disney had it right - it IS a small world afterall




Russia is the largest country in the world.  It covers and expanse of 11 time zones.  Just think about that one - 11 time zones!  One thing that I have learned since coming here is that Disney was right – it really is a small world, after all.   Here are just a few of my “small world” experiences since coming to this huge, sprawling country.
1)      I sat next to a woman from Santa Clarita, my home town, on the plane from Dulles to Copenhagen.  We didn’t even start in Los Angeles!
2)      I overheard a young man asking where the connecting flight to Pulkovo was during my layover in Copenhagen.  I asked him if he was studying abroad.  As it turns out Ethan is in my program here in Peter!
3)      Wandering deliriously jetlagged around the streets of Peter on a scavenger hunt I literally ran into Shannon from my Russian classes at GWU.  Apparently she is here this semester starting graduate school!  What are the chances that we would run into one another on the street in such a big city?!  We weren’t even on Nevsky Prospekt (the main drag) or in front of any major attractions – we were in an ally.
4)      Here I thought I could keep NROTC on the ‘DL’ but there is another midshipman on my program.  And, naturally, we picked one another out of the crowd (his boots were sortof a dead giveaway).  We also found the former marine in the bunch.  Oy veh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment