Saturday, September 10, 2011

Semper Absurda

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.  Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't.  And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would.  You see?" - Alice in Wonderland


I have managed to find my way to St. Petersburg, Russia just in time for winter.  I feel as if I, myself have fallen down the rabbit-hole.  Russia is its own world of contradictions, nostalgia, and oddities.  I have been able to wrap my mind around some aspects of life in Russia, but there are some things that are neither to be explained nor understood here.  They are facts of life and one must deal with them indifferently.

Lucky for you, dear reader, I have decided to keep a blog of my experiences as a foreign student trying to understand this rather complicated language and culture (or at the very least learn to function within it).  You see, nothing in Russia is what it seems it should be but if it were any other way, well, then it would not make much sense.  It would not be Russia!  I am convinced that Alice was dreaming of Russia.

No comments:

Post a Comment